It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Summer is fun, but you know what’s even better? The kick-off of the AFL season!
For Melburnians, this is the time of the year where the city really comes alive. New season scarves and jerseys are flying off the shelves. You’re checking out your team’s new players via the JLT series. And, best of all, at this time of year, everyone’s got a chance – even Carlton.
It’s not just about the big league though. People of all ages will be gearing up for Saturday or Sunday footy. You’ve got a new pair of boots, you’ve been training the house down, but there’s one thing you need before the season starts – a mouthguard.
A $200 pair of Puma Kings won’t help you kick straight, but a custom-fitted mouthguard will keep your teeth straight, and even help prevent them being knocked out. We love the bumps and contact that makes our great game what it is, but it doesn’t mean your teeth have to suffer.
Why You Need a Dentist-Fitted Mouthguard To Play AFL
AFL is a 360-degree sport. You could be hit from any direction which sometimes means you won’t be able to brace and protect your mouth. That puts your teeth under enormous risk of damage. The slightest knock could kill a nerve in your teeth and turn it black, a chip will require dental intervention and a lost tooth will require an expensive implant.
Here’s why you should opt for a custom-fit option instead of a cheap, over-the-counter boil and bite option:
- Every mouth, tooth and gum is unique. Only a custom-fitted option will be able to account for the peculiarities of your mouth and provide a comfortable and snug fit. If it fits comfortably, you won’t be tempted to remove it during a game or avoid wearing it. Off-the-shelf options can never achieve this level of comfort, and kids especially will take them out at critical moments.
- The mouthguards created in a dental office are subject to regulations. There are requirements as to thickness that each part of the mouthguard should be. Boil and bite options aren’t subject to these strictures.
- A poorly fitting mouthguard will actually inhibit your breathing ability. Running out a game of footy requires extreme levels of fitness. It’s hard enough to suck in those breaths without a cheap mouthguard getting in the way. Your dentist will look at the shape of your entire mouth, not just your teeth, to make sure there is absolutely no blockage of your airway.
- When it comes to making a mouthguard, you have two experts on your side. Your dentist takes the impression, and a lab technician uses this impression to find areas where extra protection is needed. This is perfect for people with malocclusions where certain teeth will receive more force than others in a collision.
- The Australian Dental Association recommends that mouthguards are worn for all contact and collision sports – AFL more than satisfies both of those requirements.
The Fitting Process
The entire procedure is fast and painless:
- The first call of duty is to check the health of your teeth. Once we’ve ticked everything off, we use dental putty to make a cast.
- This cast is sent off to a lab technician that specialises in mouthguards. Yours will be entirely tailor-made, no guesswork, just a mouthguard that is made for you.
- Once your mouthguard is ready, visit us, and we’ll fit it and make sure everything is working correctly.
- Then, you’re good to go. Back into packs, put your head over the footy, stick every tackle and do whatever you need to do to get that W. You’ve got a custom-fit mouthguard so you can do all of this with complete comfort.
dhealth Protecting Your Teeth This AFL Season
We love the AFL season. But, we want all of our patients to keep their teeth safe while they bash and crash their way through another glorious season.
If you’re a professional athlete and need something a little stronger, we can also look after you.
We offer a conventional professional mouthguard for $180 and an MMA professional mouthguard for $260.
Contact dhealth Dentistry Melbourne
Contacting dhealth Dentistry in Melbourne couldn’t be easier. You can: