Dental bridges are used to replace missing teeth. The actual restoration is made from a false tooth (also called a pontic) that is fused to a covering (or crowning) over one, or both neighbouring teeth. The most commonly used dental bridge is a traditional fixed bridge. Bridges can be used to replace one or more missing teeth, helping to restore function to the mouth and improve your confidence in your smile. Costs vary considerably when it comes to bridges, depending on which tooth is being replaced, and with which bridge:
Price: $1400 to $5000+
Bridges Before Bridges After
Types of Bridges
The type of bridge chosen will usually be dependent on the location of the missing tooth. Maryland bridges are mainly used to replace a missing front tooth and cantilever bridges are often employed in cases where there is a healthy tooth on only one side of the gap.
Bridges can be made from different materials including precious metals, porcelain and porcelain bonded to metal. Porcelain is a particularly popular option because it produces more natural aesthetics.
Dental bridges are long-lasting, aesthetically pleasing, and less invasive than implants. They are also un-removable meaning you don’t have to worry about taking them out every time you eat.
Benefits of Bridges
- Like crowns, bridges are aesthetically pleasing and closely resemble natural teeth.
- They are less invasive than implants.
- They require a relatively fast procedure for such an enormous result.
- They are un-removable so you don’t have to worry about taking it every time you eat like you would with a plate.
Our Procedure for Bridges
Our bridge procedure requires two or more appointments, depending on each individual patient. During the first visit:
- Your neighbouring teeth will be prepared by filing away enamel to enable a crown to be fitted.
- An impression will be made so the custom bridge, pontiac and crowns can be made.
- A temporary bridge will be fitted to protect the area.
During the second visit:
- Our expert team will check that the bridge is a perfect fit and see if any adjustments need to be made.
- Depending on the fit, we may temporarily cement the bridge into place and ask you to come back in a couple of weeks to check on the fit. A perfect fit is absolutely necessary to ensure that your bite isn’t affected, which will lead to further dental issues down the track.
Contact dHealth Dentistry Melbourne
Contacting dHealth Dentistry in Melbourne couldn’t be easier. You can: