When treating cavities, a filling is an incredibly effective option. It is a quick and relatively painless procedure and if fitted correctly the filling can last for a very long time and provide excellent support to a damaged tooth. However, in cases where the tooth has extensive cavities, a pin may be required in order to save the tooth and restore its functionality.
A pin is a metal rod that is inserted into the dentin and is used to support the composite fillings that are designed to restore the structure of the tooth. These pins allow the filling to remain in place and provide protection to gums in cases of severely damaged teeth. This form of treatment is very successful in preventing patients from having teeth extracted.
Our Treatments for Pin Retention
Our pin retention treatments will be undertaken using the same guidelines we apply to all of our procedures. An initial consultation will ascertain the suitability of the procedure for your particular case and we will take into account all factors relating to your health as well any fears or concerns you may have regarding the procedure.
An example of our pin retention procedure:
- Consultation session will explain your particular procedure in detail. A plan will be created to ensure you feel as comfortable as possible throughout the procedure.
- General anesthetic will be applied to the area to prevent any pain. The parts of the tooth that are effected by cavities will be removed, as well as any affected areas of the surrounding gum and tissue.
- The cavity will be prepared for the insertion of the pin and the filling material.
- The pin will be inserted into the dentin and the composite filling will be placed around it.
- A home-care plan will be given to you in order to give the procedure the best possible chances of success.
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled to check on the strength of the bond and the health of tooth.
Why Have a Pin Retention Treatment
Saving teeth is always the best option when it comes to dentistry. Tooth extraction is a far more expensive and lengthy process than pin retention treatment and it’s always better to have a full set of original teeth. We have had huge success in saving our patients teeth by using this method and the majority of our patients are able to enjoy full functionality, without having to having to go through the expense and time of having bridges or implants fitted.
Our holistic treatment plan is designed to allay any fears you may have about the treatment and to ensure you are armed with the information you need to take care of your teeth following the procedure.
Contacting dhealth Dentistry in Melbourne couldn’t be easier. You can: